top of page

Heroic Blaze Battle: Haines City Firefighters Save the Day

Haines City, FL - Yesterday evening, just as the sun began to dip below the horizon in Haines City, FL, something more alarming than the setting sun lit up the skies near E Grace Avenue and Boon Avenue. A fire, fierce and unforgiving, had taken hold in a backyard garage/workshop, threatening to turn a serene evening into a disaster. But, thanks to the quick action and teamwork of the Haines City Fire Department (HCFD) and Polk County Fire Rescue (PCFR), the community narrowly avoided a calamity.

Haines City Engine 1 was first to arrive, facing down flames that had completely engulfed the structure. It was a race against time, and the team, with precision and resolve, managed to knock down the blaze within an impressive ten minutes. Their efforts, bolstered by the backup from Haines City Engine 2, Haines City Tower 1, and additional PCFR units, exemplified the kind of heroism that often goes unsung.

In the aftermath, as smoke gave way to clear night air, it was discovered that the fire's fury was fueled by a common adversary—overloaded extension cords. It's a tale as old as time, or at least as old as electricity, reminding us all of the lurking dangers in our homes.

Miraculously, no one was hurt. The fact that the garage wasn’t a home meant that, thankfully, no families were displaced. The property owner now has their land back, but with a story they'll likely never forget.

Chief Drew Neubrand, a figure of calm and authority amidst the chaos, seized the moment to drive home a crucial message: electricity, for all its wonders, demands respect. Overloading extension cords is a gamble with high stakes, he reminded us. "It’s easy to forget the power we’re dealing with—until something like this happens. Safety isn’t just a guideline; it’s a lifeline."

As the flames died down, ISC News & Media were there, cameras rolling, capturing not just the drama of the blaze but the skill and dedication of our firefighters. It was a vivid reminder of the dangers they face and the vigilance needed from all of us to prevent such scares.

So, let this be a wake-up call to check those extension cords, to give electricity the respect it commands. Thanks to the HCFD and PCFR, it’s a lesson we can learn without loss. Here's to those who run towards danger so that we can sleep soundly, secure in our homes.



bottom of page